lundi 2 juillet 2012

SB4000 Quad VCA Part II : Cleaning, trim pots and Ribbon Cable

- Cleaning time :


I used the toothbrush to clean most of the flux / solder left on the board. Also you have to know, I usually clean all the flux projects after each soldering, with my finger nails :D

After that, I used compresses with alcohol to clean most of the boards by pressing it gently against it. On the particularly dirty parts, I used coton stretches (beware not to put too many alcohol on them or they will fall apart on the board quickly). After this, another round of hard toothbrush, and I considered it done.

- I part the 2 boards (the third was part already by Ruckus prior to shipping). The DREMEL was a bit of an overkill but I wanted to test my new toy ^^



- I was now ready to put trim pots everywhere, after pre-trimming them (VR1/VR2 on quad board to 5k, VR18/VR19 to 1k33 and the other to their maximum resistor values).

To trim pots I watched a video on youtube explaining I had to put my red probe on lead 2, and my black probe on lead 3. Then I adjusted to the desired value

All pots in :


- For the Ribbon Cable I referred to this PDF found on groupDIY forum (you must be logged in) : Here




I used what I got on hand to put pressure on it (be careful to be as upright as possible when you put higher pressure ). When it clicks, it's ready !!


Be careful to have the 2 connectors watching in the same direction for this build (I did them opposed at first as it seemed natural to me, without watching pin 1 dots on sockets, and my unit was not working properly).

This is correct (and many other pictures are not, take care) :



I then tested with my multimeter in continuity mode (or you can use it in ohm meter and check you got near zero resistance) and 2 broken resistor leads (as my probes can't go in there) to ensure each pin was correctly connected to the opposite part :



Also I was quite surprised to see that the corresponding holes are not symetrically opposed, they're in the same spot on each part, I hope it's normal :)

To add the second part on top of it no need for tools, it's quite easy. Don't pull on the cable too much :


1 commentaire: